28.7.08

Change

C3 H4 A1 N1 G2 E1 - Double word score - 24 points


Change is something that we encounter everyday, as they say change is the only constant. But one thing that we fail to realize is that change is the easy part...following through with the change is more difficult than accepting change.

Many people, including myself, complain about change within our lives; not matter how minor or major the change is. We bitch and moan about what it is that we have to do, what we can no longer do, what needs to be eliminated, what new things we have to acquire, etc. Once we're done whining about what we need to change, then we get ready to fall into the steps of maintaining the change...at least that's what we are supposed to do.

Recently, I've gone through many changes in my life and I've accepted all of them but am having the damnedest (yes I said damnedest) time trying to actually change my habits and ways. Here are a few examples of some minor and major changes that I've gone through in recent months and the struggles I've encountered maintaining said changes:

CHANGE: New blog writing format.
PROBLEM: Remembering the new guidelines and formats that I have set for future blog entries and taking the time to prepare the necessary elements of the blog to keep it in line with the new format. Also, dedicating time towards the blog every night despite other changes in my life (see below) that might prevent me from doing it or that might delay the progress of the blog entries.

CHANGE: I had a baby girl in June.
PROBLEM: Keeping my paperwork together for her and her medical bills. I am usually not organized, despite my Virgo status, when it comes down to keeping bills in order and accessible. But now, it's kind of hard filing bankruptcy for a 2 month old's medical bills so I have to force myself to open the mail, read the mail, take care of whatever the mail tells me to do, and file the mail away in a place that is accessible or shredding the mail if necessary. Making sure that I get to work early enough so that I can have time in the afternoon to spend quality time with her, to make her doctor appointments, and schedule in cooking and cleaning so she can have a home that is child friendly and not bachelorette friendly.

CHANGE: Not letting someone else's problem affect me.
PROBLEM: Ignoring the stupidity and insanity of others. Understanding that their "problems" with me aren't my problems (to be explained in a later entry). Realizing that I can't please or be liked by everyone just like I am not going to like or be pleased by all that cross my path and ACCEPTING these facts.

CHANGE: Getting healthy.
PROBLEM: Saying no to double stacks with bacon when I've been at work all day and don't feel like cooking after spending two hours trying to get my little Leapfrog (my baby girl) to sleep. Committing three hours a week to Funkareobics with the two most insane but effective aerobic instructors in town after only four hours of sleep per night, eight hours in hell (aka my job), and an hour commute between home and the baby sitter's (aka Grannie's). Realizing that the three dollars I just spent for 2 apples will be worth it in the long run because it's going to save me thousands of dollars in clothing and medical bills for years to come.

Change cannot be accomplished unless one demonstrates proactiveness on their part. Without it, change is nothing but rhetorical bullshit spewed from the mouths of those trying to impress someone that they are talking about change with.

There is nothing wrong with talking about what you want to change. It's important to single out and explore things about oneself that they find faulty, unimportant, stifling, or damaging. Discussing it with others is also a good idea because they can help you figure out what needs to be done in order to accomplish those changes so that you can accomplish what you need or want to change. But once the talking is over the question is: are you ready to do the work...because that's the real change that needs to be made.

No comments: